Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Scams

I was warned by various people as well as by every guide book that honesty is not something that's high on Vietnamese their agenda. Now after ten days in the country I tend to agree. Not a day goes by that someone isn't trying to rip me off on something. Normally its small stuff like charging double for a cup of coffee or trying to get you to pay ten dollars for a taxi ride that costs only two. But sometimes its far worse then that, two Australians I spoke too had hired a rickshaw for the afternoon and presented with a bill for four million Dong afterwards, that's two hundred dollar! When you dispute any overcharges a lot of the locals get very aggressive indeed.
Not a problem for me I can give as good as I get but quite unsettling for a lot of people.

No comments: